Thursday 5 March 2015

Incarnate (Newsole #1) by Jodi Meadows

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.


My Review: 
Now I don't know if you have seen, noticed or even care, but Angelina and I have gotten into this habit of recommending 3 books to each other and then the other has to read one no exceptions. So this time I picked Incarnate by Jodi Meadows, like you haven't guessed yet.... It took me waaaaay to long to get to this book (like almost 2 months too long) it was mostly due to fear of not liking it like the other one which I had to read (Across the Universe). Unlike that book I found this one an enjoyable read. 
The plot was a bit slow at the beginning and that kind of put me off for the first chapter but as I turned each page the book got better and better and the plot started to complicate (in a good way) and unfortunate events started happening, I wouldn't be spoiling you by saying: unfortunate things like dragons attacking. That scene was pretty awesome and was set up very nicely. 
Ana was annoying at first, she was a little whiny and insecure and also had kind of a trust issue (is it bad that I like it when characters have trust issues?) she was so scared of her Mum, Li, the whole time that she forgot to wake up and smell the roses. However, as the book progressed she started to get stronger and really stand up for herself, it's not like she wasn't defensive before or anything but she just learned to take her feelings and add on actions to them. Sam was in one word guarded in another hesitant and to sum it all up so frustrating! If you are going to kiss her just do it! He started to stop over thinking things at the end of the book but he still did it... and I love how every time that he does something stupid or hesitates Ana does not hesitate to point it out (see what I did there? Probably not....) Li was my favourite character over all and it sucks that we didn't see more of her. In my opinion she just had so much more depth than any of the other characters and I just want to learn more about her. 
Over all I give this book three out of five stars: 
 This picture sums up me  about Ana and Sam's relationship perfectly: 




1 comment:

  1. I'd been wanting to read this for a while but negative reviews put me off along with the threat of a slow start and whiny heroine... since then though I read the start of Jodi Meadows' Orphan Queen and she has a beautiful writing style so I might just pick it up anyway! Great review :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/review-blood-and-feathers-blood-and.html

    ReplyDelete