Friday 22 May 2015

Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1) by Josephine Angelini

20613491
Book Blurb  (from Goodreads):
This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected


My Review: 
Last year I had read the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini and loved it, so I had high expectations for this book. I probably should of gotten round to reading this much sooner and I don't know why but I was sort of hesitant to do so, probably because I didn't want to taint my image of this author but I had no reason to worry because this book lived up to most, if not all, of my expectations. 
The plot in this book was paced passed but you were able to follow the plot easily since everything was well explained and there were no questions left unanswered unless it was for suspense but the end of the book was sort of confusing and I wasn't quite sure what had just happened so I had to look up the book blurb of the second book to figure it out, although I think that this problem only applies to me. If you do read this book and you are confused at the end as well, the second book blurb kind of tells you what had just happened. 
The characters in this book were well developed especially the main character Lily. We got to understand her well in the 374 pages of this book, and I came to understand and anticipate her decisions which made me feel like I actually knew her. She is also a stubborn character, always not doing what she was told until she actually realized the consequences of her actions but I suppose that without her stubbornness the story wouldn't actually be that interesting. I would now like to take some time to talk about Rowan because I feel like he literally stepped out of the pages of Heir of Fire and walked straight into this book, or maybe it is the other way around.... just checked, both books came out on the same day (There you go, your fun fact for the day!).  But to be honest I don't really care what book he walked out of because he fit in perfectly in both. He was strong but also sympathetic and always cared about Lilly's needs and protecting her. Lillian, Lilly's evil 'twin' was creepy yet interesting to read about. We didn't figure out what she actually wanted and what forced her to be the way she is until the very end and I still don't understand her. I am defiantly intrigued to continue reading about her in the second book which comes out this year (can't wait!). 
All in all I give this book five out of five stars. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay I'm so glad you liked it! I've also been hesitant to read this because I loved the Starcrossed series so much and didn't want the author to be ruined for me. I'll have to read this soon! Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete