Thursday 11 September 2014

More Than this by Patrick Ness Review

Book blurb (from goodreads):
“Books are often described as ‘mind-blowing’ but this is one of the few books in which, while reading it, I have exclaimed aloud, ‘Oh. My. God.’ on multiple occasions … Just read it.” 
John Green

A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

From multi-award-winning Patrick Ness comes one of the most provocative and moving novels of our time. 


Okay so before I start this review I am going to do things a little differently. Since I feel like this book should be read without really knowing anything else then what the blurb gives you. So below will be a review on writing and if I liked it and a rating. Under that though in red will be another with more information and A SPOILER since I really need to get it off my chest and say what I think about it. So if you don't really want to know what happens read the one in black, if you do then read the red. 

My short review:
Well I think that Patrick Ness did a great job with producing a great book which I will probably be forcing people to read for a long time......
More Than This was filled filled from front to back with excitement, anticipation, questions and plot twist after plot twist which will make your head spin in a good way. The first few pages were it is him dying was so well written I do not know were to start. I felt like I was actually watching it all happen. Well, I felt like that throughout the whole book. I also liked the way how every time he fell asleep we got a memory to give us some useful background information which helps the reader understand more as the book progresses. Want more about this book? Read the red section BUT only if you do not mind the spoiler.... 
I give this book 4 stars!



RED review: 
Lets just jump into this shall we? We start of thinking that this is a cool book were a boy dies and wakes up in the after life alone and has to learn how to cope. That's what we learn from the blurb that's what we are told in part 1. Does Patrick Ness stick to that topic? NO. All of a sudden Seth meets two other kids and then, BAM! Plot twist. The book is not a fantasy anymore it is a dystopian! Now I will not complain about this since I was getting a little bored at the beginning but then it turns into my favourite genre of this year? Thumbs up Patrick Ness I approve. Although I do not think that other people would since maybe it was a too big a plot twist, and usually authors should stay in the genre they started writing the book in but Patrick Ness broke the rules but he did it right. He slowly helped the reader understand what was going on instead of going: BAM! The world ended. Accept it. Now lets move on! No the time that I fully accepted this was by part 3 which is when I think that people should of accepted this information.
Now can I say how cool yet scary 'the driver' was/is? He was on of the most mysterious characters in the book mostly because we never really got to know who he is. That was information that I would have liked to know but I can accept not knowing.
The characters  in this book were well developed and funny which was what this book needed since it was quite a 'heavy' topic to read about. 

One more question that I have: WAS IT ALL IN HIS HEAD?????


No comments:

Post a Comment