Saturday 13 September 2014

Branded (sinners #1) by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki

Book blurb (from Goodreads):
Fifty years ago The Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. 
To punish the guilty, he created the Hole, a place where sinners are branded according to their sins. Sinners are forced to live a less than human existence in deplorable conditions, under the watchful eye of guards who are ready to kill anyone who steps out of line.
Now, LUST wraps around my neck like thick, blue fingers, threatening to choke the life out of me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit, and the Hole is my new home. 
Constant darkness. 
Brutal and savage violence. 
Excruciating pain. 
Every day is a fight for survival. 
But I won’t let them win. I will not die in the Hole. 
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.


My review:
When I first started reading this book I didn't even notice that it was written by two authors. Usually that would put me off reading it but since I hadn't noticed it before I found out it didn't really bother me that much. their style of writing was so similar with only small differences that you could only find if you were looking for them like how Cole and Lexi sometimes react differently to each other and their interactions and feelings could differ a bot but apart from that I liked the writing and I think that Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki worked really well together and I hope that they continue to do so in the future. 
The plot of this book was not clear from the beginning. Lexi had been accused and thrown in the hole and given a guard to protect her. So naturally at first I thought it was a book that was just about survival but and it was but as soon as a rebellion was mentioned it was obvious that was the direction that the book was going to go. I liked that the book took that turn because it filled up the last 100-150 pages of the book with suspenseful and exciting action. 
The romance between Cole and Lexi was obvious and I liked how they didn't rush into head first and tried to hide it. It was obvious though that she was going to fall in love with a guard because it was forbidden and when Cole was introduced as her protector I knew it was going to be him and I don't think that, that was a bad thing since he was a good gut with good intentions. My favourite moments in the book (apart from the action) was when Cole and Lexi had some alone time. It was really sweet and made me blush and I love it when books do that to me. 
The one down side of this book is that I felt like Cole was a bit controlling at times and even though that worked up tension between characters I do not think that it was written properly because there where times where he was acting strange and had strange mode swings. Another one which actually isn't really a down side more of a complaint that I have is that characters in this book were to fast to forgive each other which even though I did bother me I can learn to live with.
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars:

No comments:

Post a Comment