Thursday 18 September 2014

Glitch (glitch #1) Heather Anastasiu Review!

Book blurb (from goodreads):
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.


My review:
This book, whilst not my favourite is a fairly enjoyable book. 
The idea of the book was not the most original Heather Anastasiu manged to put her own twist onto it. The thought of not being able to feel emotions and have some one else control my actions would drive me to the bridge of insanity (but then again how would I know? They would control my thoughts as well..). 
The way the Heather described the transitions between connecting and disconnecting from the link was perfectly done with how she described colour flooding back/out of the world again.
Max frustrated me in the book. I hated how he naturally assumed that Zoe felt for him the same way he did for her. I can not say too much about his character to so I can avoid spoilers but I can tell you the he is a complete A*****E!
Adrien is a really sweet character but at the same time a very hard and passionate one. He understands his emotions well and know how to deal with them himself along with also being able to help people understand theirs. 
The 'powers' in this book made a sort of weird sense. It made sense that the human brain adapted to the chips and worked it's way around them giving the person abilities whilst doing so because it would have to tap into different parts of the brain to override the chips control right? So the telekinesis and x-ray vision made sense in a way. However I do not see the logic in being able to affect other people around you with making yourself look like anyone or making anyone do what you want them to just by talking or even seeing visions of the future seemed a bit far fetched to me but Hay! It's a faction/dystopian novel! I'm not complaining...... that much.
Overall I would say that this is a decent book with a twist at the end which will leave you wanting the next book (luckily I already have it) 
I give this book 3 out of 5 stars: 

No comments:

Post a Comment