Thursday 5 February 2015

Moonchild by Ewa Zwonarz

23699145
Book Blurb (from Goodreads) 
In this coming-of-age tale that blends myth, mystery, and the magic of storytelling, we enter the world of a fifteen-year-old seeker named Eve. Growing up in rural Poland, Eve's small-town existence is radically transformed by a series of lucid dreams, influenced by the moon, in which she is exposed to Sariel, a fallen angel. Sariel's cryptic messages, and demands for Eve to free him, draw her deeper and deeper into an ancient story of love, loss, and redemption. Eve's desire to heed the callings of her inner-life are confronted and challenged by family secrets and growing dysfunction, and her increasing alienation from her peers at school. 

Determined to find out who she really is, and the truth about her family legacy, Eve undertakes a quest, guided by a strange boy who calls himself Punk, in which dreams and reality merge, and a buried past is brought into the light.



My review: 
It has been a long time since I have last posted, and that is because this book took me so long to read. What would usually take me four days ended up taking me almost two weeks. I was asked to review this book by the author and that will in no way effect my opinion on it. I really want to say that I loved this book since it is her first novel and I was asked to review it, but I didn't. 
The plot was a little bit over-complicated. It had a lot of things going on, but in the last section it all came together in some weird way which strangely worked, but up until then the book was a just a tad bit confusing, slow paced and hard to get through. We often got information too fast and it was at times repeated. However, there were also times where a explanation was desperately needed but we received none. In my opinion there are two types of confusion in a book: Intentional, and unintentional. Intentional confusion is what you might get in a mystery book, it is the author trying to throw you of track or make things less clear and confusion, making the reader want to continue reading to find out what happens, and there actually was some of that which is one of the things that kept me reading. Unintentional confusion often happens when an author either, has not explained something clear enough and never gets back to it, neglects to explain something, or there is a section in the book which just has poor writing. In this book there was often unintentional confusion caused by things not being explained well enough at the time, this happened on many occasions which made me almost put the book down but then again I still wanted to know what happens, so extra points there. 
Evelina is the key example of an extremely stupid main character. You have heard of and seen characters making stupid choices but you have never seen a main character make as many stupid mistakes or choices then her. As much as this frustrated me at the time I had to remember that this was, as it says in the book blurb, a coming-of-age story as well and that is usually the point in someones life where they make the most stupid and rash decisions. To me what justified these mistakes is the fact that Evelina did eventually learn from them, maybe not straight away but she got there  in the end which enforced some strong character development. 
I would recommend getting the e-book version of this book, only because the vocabulary is quite complicated in some areas and kindles and e-readers have dictionaries. 
Finally wish that I could rate this book higher but I am going to have to give it two out of five stars because it was so hard for me to get through and the plot sometimes frustrated me. The ending defiantly saved this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment