Monday 10 November 2014

The Magician's Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy #1) by Trudi Canavan

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
"We should expect this young woman to be more powerful than our average novice, possibly even more powerful than the average magician."

This year, like every other, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work-—until one enraged girl, barely more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders...and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield.

What the Magicians' Guild has long dreaded has finally come to pass. There is someone outside their ranks who possesses a raw power beyond imagining, an untrained mage who must be found and schooled before she destroys herself and her city with a force she cannot yet control.


My Review
OK, I admit that I didn't really want to read this book in the beginning, even though my friend kept on recommending it to me, but it just didn't look interesting to me so I waved it off. But then I finally relented and I found that it was a pretty good book.It is pretty much about a girl, who found out that she has magical powers and the Magician's Guild has to find her before her powers destroy her and the city. I didn't really enjoy the part in the slums, when the girl (Sonea) hid from the Magicians. It was slightly boring, while the Magician perspective was more interesting. I also thought that the finding part of the book, where the Magicians had to capture Sonea, was to dragged out. They searched for her until more than half way through  the book. That was way too long. Otherwise, I liked the book, the characters were interesting. I liked Dannyl and Rothen, they had a sense of humour and were friendly.
Overall, I found the book satisfying and good and I can give it 4 out of 5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment