Saturday 8 November 2014

Sabriel (Old Kingdom #1) by Garth Nix

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sent to a boarding school in Ancelstierre as a young child, Sabriel has had little experience with the random power of Free Magic or the Dead who refuse to stay dead in the Old Kingdom. But during her final semester, her father, the Abhorsen, goes missing, and Sabriel knows she must enter the Old Kingdom to find him. She soon finds companions in Mogget, a cat whose aloof manner barely conceals its malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage long imprisoned by magic, now free in body but still trapped by painful memories. As the three travel deep into the Old Kingdom, threats mount on all sides. And every step brings them closer to a battle that will pit them against the true forces of life and death—and bring Sabriel face-to-face with her own destiny.

With Sabriel, the first installment in the Abhorsen trilogy, Garth Nix exploded onto the fantasy scene as a rising star, in a novel that takes readers to a world where the line between the living and the dead isn't always clear—and sometimes disappears altogether.


My Review
The reason why I picked this book off the shelf was that the cover looked interesting, magical and I'm totally into stuff like that. When I read the back, I knew it was my kind of book.
It all starts with the prologue, where they gradually introduce the main characters: Abhorsen, Sabriel and Kerrigor, the antagonist. Then the actual story began. I didn't really enjoy the first 2 chapters or so that much, mostly because it was slightly boring and nothing was happening. Then realization dawned on me: this is taking place in a kind of modern age. The book had stuff like trucks, planes, tractors and whatnot. Now, the thing is that I expected this book to be set in ancient times, since the map on the front said "Old Kingdom". But the more I read this book, the more I enjoyed it and just couldn't put it down. I think that Mogget was my absolute favourite character. His aloof personality was so cool and his comments were funny. Touchstone annoyed me at the beginning, but I quickly warmed up to him. My only complaints were that it took me some time to memorize where everything was on the map and the names of the bells, so I always had to flip back to check what each bell does.
Overall, I really loved this book, it had an original idea with Death and Life. This book would be good for magic, adventure and fantasy lovers.
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment