Monday 27 October 2014

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan

18190302Book Blurb (from goodreads)
Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek god.

I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. Now I spend my time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive.

This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.








My Review: 
First of all I would like to say: Yes shame on me for not reading Percy Jackson until now. Seriously I feel like everyone in the world has read this series apart from me, I really have to pull my socks up and hop on this train!
I can tell why everyone has read this book. It is one of those books which is just so easy to get through which is what most non-readers need to have. 
Percy's point of view is really refreshing and funny. I swear not a page went by when I had not laughed at, at least one sentence. 
I have read many books that play around with Greek myths and gods which is why I put of reading this series. In my mind I thought: How different can this be than the other ones that I have read. My answer was very different. Whilst my knowledge of Greek myths and legends is quite broad so I was able to predict things correctly it did not make the book any less exciting. At first I thought why isn't anything happening! Then I remembered that at least 6 fights had already happened. I think that the reason why I was not really picking up some fights in my mind was because the book was so fast paced so my adrenaline was constantly on a high. Because of my crazy adrenaline levels fights felt like a normal thing happening in this book. Does that make sense? I hope that it does. This is not a bad thing if done correctly, and in my opinion Rick Riordan did it fairly well.
The characters in this book where funny and relatable, in terms of how they reacted in different situations but not all situations for example I would not take on a god, this girl does NOT have a death wish. 
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars: 

No comments:

Post a Comment